Sunday, March 29, 2015

Smaht phones and computahs and whatnot

The hard drive on my laptop died a couple of weeks ago. I had it for exactly a year, I think - since having our taxes done I can't find the receipt - and it's already fried. I had two computer guys look at it and there is no retrieving anything from the hard drive. Which means that the novel I was working on for the past month is no longer with us.

Well Gary, you say, you backed everything up, right? You aren't a total idiot, are you? Well, I answer, not a total idiot. I do back up my documents once a week on a flash drive. Except it had been a month since my last backup, for some reason, so everything written over that last month is gone, poof, goodbye. I think I need to start using an online backup service, just to be safe.

So I bought an HP laptop, the least expensive one I could find. It's a lot bigger than my last two laptops and the touchpad is awful, but hopefully I'll get used to it. And I also got an iPhone 5 this week, my first smartphone. A wicked smaht phone, as we say in Maine. So far I really like it, much more than I expected to. Except that with the case I bought, I can't hear anything. So I can find the weather and check stocks and get directions in an instant, but I won't be able to hear anyone who calls me. That's progress.

Just so it doesn't appear that technology is taking over my life, I should make it known that right now I am listening to a very scratched copy of Led Zeppelin III on vinyl.

I began reading Ken Follet's Fall of Giants, the first book in the Century trilogy. It's 1,000 pages long, as are all three books, and I can't stop wondering, what have I gotten myself into? I'll let you know how it is six months from now when I finish it.



No comments:

Post a Comment