Monday, June 1, 2015

Reading a lousy book and writing a novel.

It's a pretty typical April day - cold and rainy. Unfortunately, it's June.

Last week, I finished reading Winter of the World, the second book in Ken Follett's Century trilogy. It was really good. The first one was good, but this one was better. Right now I am reading the Pamela Des Barres book, I'm With The Band. Not good. If you are an 18-year-old girl and aspire to be the plaything of a rock star, you may like it. If you have any level of maturity at all, you might want to avoid it. You know it's bad if it's too immature for me. I thought it would give me some insight into the lives of rock stars, but really it's about rock stars blowing her off after having sex with her a few times. Also, it's written like a diary that Marcia Brady would have kept about Davey Jones.

Why, then, am I still reading it? Because I feel the need to finish a book once I've started it, even the bad ones. I don't know why. I don't always make it, and it's a real waste of time, but I will push through this one.

I'm working on a novel about a high school teacher / baseball coach. It has everything - sports, sex, violence. Well, it will when it's finished. I wish I could write a mystery thriller sort of novel, because that seems to be what sells, but I can't. Maybe I could, but it probably wouldn't turn out so great. I do have ideas for my next couple of novels, but I have to finish this one first.

It's amazing to me that I finished writing Rock Star almost two years ago and I haven't written a novel since. I did write Love Lettahs From Maine earlier this year, but those are easy for me to write and only take a few weeks. So I'd better get to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment