Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Writing (or not writing) when the weather is nice

It's been difficult getting anything done this week because the weather has been so nice. After a long Maine winter 50 degrees would seem tropical, but it went from the 20's to the 80's in about a week. Almost all the snow is gone, which is great. The problem is that my office is in the basement, with very little natural light and the bright fluorescent lights and cold dampness. It's nice and cool during the summer, but this week I really wanted to enjoy the sunshine and warmth. So my office didn't get much use.

I had a short story published a couple of weeks ago by Artificium, a UK publication. The story is "Tipping Headstones", about two teenagers who get drunk one night and tip over headstones in a cemetery. One of them forgets his sweatshirt and goes back for it the next day, where he is confronted by the cemetery caretaker. It's hard for me to believe but I wrote it about a year ago, and I remember thinking it was the best short story I'd written in a long time. I can't put a link to it because it is only available in print, so just take my word for it when I say it's good.

Last night I finished reading "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child", which my son Samuel really wanted me to read. It was excellent, as are all the Harry Potter books. I was hesitant to read it - I didn't like the idea of continuing the story when it had ended so perfectly - but I think it was well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment