Sunday, May 6, 2012

The Avengers and The Hunger Games

  I didn't do any writing today.  This is the first day in at least 3 or 4 weeks that I don't write at all, so I probably could use a break.  My goal is to finish the first draft of "The Auctioneer" by the end of May, so I'd better get moving on it this week.  Instead of writing this morning  I went to a vinyl record fair and bought about 20 or 25 records for $45.  Only the bargain bins for me!  But I did get some really good deals, I think.  Bought  a few sealed LP's, stuff like Julian Lennon, nothing valuable. 

Tonight Seth and I saw The Avengers.  It was good, but too much action.  I know that is supposed to be the point of an action film, but I like a little story.  Not "aliens invade earth, war ensues".  I guess the reliance on special effects in movies really bothers me.  Having said that, I did like it a lot.  There was plenty of humor, too.  Normally a movie over 2 hours long will drag a little, but The Avengers was interesting the entire time. 

Not so for the Hunger Games books.  I finished reading the third one, "Mockingjay", last night.  They are difficult books to describe.  There is little to no description - she walks into an area, you have no idea if it is the size of a bedroom or a stadium.  And the characters have no depth - when somebody dies, it's difficult to care.   I know I am in the minority, because so many people love the Hunger Games books.  The books are very bleak and bare, which may be what people like about them.  They do somehow hook you, I'll say that.   And I thought Mockingjay to be the best of the series.  This isn't much of a review, is it?  Let me put it this way:  It may be the only book I've read where I liked the movie better.  And it is certainly the only book that was less descriptive than the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment