Wednesday, February 13, 2013

The Brooklyner, Valentine's Day

I found out last night that the magazine The Brooklyner has accepted my short story, "Late Winter", for publication. It came as quite a surprise because I originally wrote the story in October of 2011 and I submitted it to The Brooklyner in March of 2012, so that is quite a long response time. It's kind of cool seeing stories that I wrote so long ago being accepted for publication now.

I'm ready for summer. I can't stand the snow, can't stand the cold.  For the first time we had to have our driveway plowed this weekend because the snow was just so high, drifts up to five feet in front of our garage.  It's not as fun drinking beer on a cold winter night as it is on a hot summer  night, I know that. So I guess that's what it comes down to for me, what is the best time of year to drink beer.

I'm reading Rod Stewart's autobiography, "Rod", and it is one of the best autobiographies I've read. Much better than I expected. I've read a few lousy books in the past few months so it's nice to read one that I look forward to. I've been wanting to watch the movie "Better Off Dead" all week but instead I've been reading. Oh, and watching Frasier. Kind of going through a Frasier addiction, we are almost finished with Season 6 on Netflix.

I've been writing quite a bit in the past week if you don't include last night and tonight. Last night I read and then watched "Justified", the only current show that I watch. I'm not a big fan of the graphic violence, but the storylines are great. As for tonight, well, the night is still somewhat young so there is still time to get in a few hundred words. We'll see.

Valentines Day tomorrow. Michelle and I are the only couple I know who do not celebrate it. We do absolutely  nothing. No flowers, no cards, nothing. We feel that it is ridiculous for people to spend money on each other so companies can get rich. If you don't show your love for each other every day, why is one day a year going to change things? We'd rather celebrate our anniversary and things like that.  I have, however, written her a couple of dirty valentine's day poems in the past. It's just the romantic in me, I guess.





No comments:

Post a Comment